Thursday, May 31, 2012

Happy Hemping! Josephine Knots


The hemp bracelet project. The link from this Pinterest DIY is below.

I was in sixth grade when my mom bought me my first roll of hemp and showed me how to macrame. Mom measured several lengths of the tannish cording using her right arm as a ruler. She had me sit crossed-legged on my bed and, with a safety pin, she knotted the hemp and pinned the knot to my jeans. She then showed me how simple knots repeated, in different order or inserting a bead at the right time made the coolest designs for bracelets, necklaces, anklets, anything!

Mom was cool before it was cool to be cool. She recycled cans and the newspaper before it was popular, she macramé-d purses in college during the seventies, she DIY-ed built in book shelves and altered curtains before it was called DIY, and she wore big sunglasses before anyone in Hollywood picked back up on that trend. Mom is just so cool!

When she taught me how to macrame in middle school, it was several years before it would become popular again. I can't say many people, save for my bestest friend who daily wore the bracelet I made for her, were too thrilled by the slightly strange smelling grass bracelets I was creating. But, true to form, what goes around, comes around. I gave up making the bracelets until strumbling across this awesome knot on Pinterest.

So, I guess my interest in this DIY is more of a wonderful flashback to crafting with mom on my homemade pink quilt and a mini tribute to the fact that I haven't forgotten everything she taught me. I had never made Josephine Knots before and at first it was a little bit challenging. But I am happy to say I conquered my clumsy fingers and wrangled the hemp into shape. I love the results!

It's a super fun and quirky summer bracelet to add to any stack of bracelets. The total cost was 1.49 (after coupon) and the paper clips I scrounged out of a desk drawer. There's enough hemp left over to make another two bracelets or a necklace. I highly recommend getting a little in touch with your hippy side and making this fun rather organic bracelet. Happy Hemping!




It starts off really simply. Measure the length of hemp across your right arm and chest. Super simple measuring. You can use as many strands as you like, I chose to use three like the DIY image.


Using the plastic loop on the lid of my Nalgene bottle, I wove the paper clip through the loop and through the top knot. You can definitely use a safety pin or anything to keep it from moving and freeing both hands.


This was the next step and it seemed pretty easy...until...


The next step. Lol! It took me several tries to get this step right.


But I promise that it really does eventually turn into a really neat knot. :)


When you're done, you can either tie the bracelet straight on your wrist, or you can make another knot and push it through the first loop you made to make a little clasp of sorts.


The final result, as you can see, is a pretty shnazzy, super inexpensive, definitely original summer accessory! The directions on the DIY video were easy to follow, but if you any questions, please don't hesitate to message me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment