Monday, July 2, 2012

My Little Nest Egg

Hello fellow DIY-ers! I promise you that I have not died, been smitten with a disease where I cannot use my hands to type or delivered the very large basketball under my shirt! I have been exceptionally busy since the beginning of June with two friend's baby showers, finishing up working, going on vacation, hosting two house guests, being involved in my church's international bible conference AND getting ready for our little bundle of love to arrive.

Whew, what a month! I knew I should have written at the beginning of June something about the fact that I might need to take a month off from blogging, but alas, I thought I could be Wonder Woman and do it ALL. I laugh at myself for such a silly presumption.

ANYway, while things have been absolutely nutty, I have still been DIYing. My husband and I have been working on some great Pinterest DIY's that I cannot wait to show you!

The first project I did was for one of my lovely friend's baby shower. I wanted to give her, as the momma-to-be, a little something special just for her. I had pinned this DIY project a while back and thought it would be the perfect "little something".

DIY project by blogger Sarah Ortega. (http://www.sarahortega.com/2011/05/diy-bird-nest-necklace.html) Her blog on this project is SO thorough and beautifully photographed. Definitely check out the link above if you're interested! 

I love the concept of the precious baby in her belly being the little egg in her nest hanging close to her heart. I know, I know, but I have always been a hopeless romantic! I went to Michael's Crafts and bought the needed supplies. A large container of glass beads, necklace chain, 24 gage jewelry wire, jump rings and clasps. Also, if you do not have any, you're going to need some wire cutters and needle nose pliers. A nice aspect to this DIY is that I have quite a large amount of wire, jump rings, clasps and beads left over. Like enough to make everyone in our neighborhood a little "nest egg." (Which is certainly not a bad thing if you are a crafter!) The good thing about this project is that if you're already a beader-jewelry maker, you probably have all these things lying around, equalling minimal or no cost.

Everything you will need! 

If you're not an experienced wire-worker (like myself), it can be a bit challenging getting your fingers working with the beads and the wire. However, just keep stretching, reforming, tweeking and playing and you will have an absolutely gorgeous result! For my compadre, I used three different beads representing her, her husband, and their baby boy. It was completely from my heart and really a little gift of love.

My friend's Nest Egg
(This photo is of the back. You can see where I cut and twisted the wire to get it all to stay)

Carrying a baby is such an amazing and beautiful thing. I feel so privileged that God has given me the chance to be a momma. Even as I type, my little one is squirming away, using my kidneys for soccer practice and anxiously awaiting his debut into the world. As I wrapped and bent the wire around my own glossy mint colored bead, it made me think of how my husband and I plan to wrap our little boy in love, adventure, and protection. How we cannot wait to cradle him in our arms and welcome him into his new home. This made me realize, even more so, how much God loves each and everyone of us and wraps us in His care, protection, and destiny if we let Him. I guess my little nest egg is as much about my son as it is about me. My son entrusted to me and my life safely entrusted to God.

My Nest Egg 



No comments:

Post a Comment